Saturday, December 24, 2011

The Wise Men and Herod (redux)

I am grateful for the way children re-write things.  Often there is Truth involved, if we can see it.  One day, I think, Herod will see fit to follow the Star with the Wise Men, and they will all go home together.

Years ago now
The children re-wrote the Christmas story
The way they always do.
No matter the Nativity script,
The re-enactment is always different.
Years ago now the triplets
Played the Wise Men.
Their best friend was Herod.
The best adult stage direction
Did not help.
They all ended up at the manger
Kneeling before Jesus.
They left together.
That year
There was no Other Way.

Every year I watch the children.
I wonder how the script will play out
This year.
Every year I remember Herod
And the Wise Men,
Kneeling before Jesus,
Traveling home together
On the road.
I wonder when
They will do it again.
I wonder when
There will be no Other Way.

No comments:

Post a Comment