Sunday, December 4, 2011

Some things learned in the grocery store this afternoon

Adventures are what we make them.  I have never seen onions being vacuumed before.

The blackberries were three containers
For the price of one.
Eyebrows raised,
We bought them and will wash them
Thoroughly.
The onions were in the process
Of being vacuumed.
Is there a special produce vacuum?
Better yet
An onion vacuum?
We didn*t see.
We asked and were told
Loose onion skins
Make the display messy.
There were packs of ping pong balls,
(No paddles)
Next to the soft drinks.
No explanation
But I*m sure I can come up with some sort
Of a connection.
Twenty-five minutes in the store
I practiced seeing what food looks like
In a partial seizure
Eyes wide open.
I read Smart Bran
As Smart Brain,
Openly wondered how a cereal
Could make such a promise.
Come to think of it:
How can a cereal
Be smart?

This wasn*t even
What my mother-in-law would call
A hotsy-snotsy grocery store.

Now we are home.
The blackberries are thoroughly washed.
I consider vacuuming the onions.
The Smart Bran is on top of the refrigerator
With its ambiguous promise.
I remember how much I used to enjoy
Ping pong.

No comments:

Post a Comment