Monday, January 14, 2013

Necessary

I am facing some decisions, things I do not wish to approach hastily.  The question of what is necessary looms large.  These are not huge decisions, but I know they carry weight, more than the weight of the looming kitchen backsplash decision.  Thank you to my friend*s reflection on St. Francis (thank you, Matt) http://intotheexpectation.blogspot.com/2011/10/if-necessary-use-words.html
I was given a leaping off place for today.  A blessing.


Preach the Gospel.
If necessary                                                      U
Use words.
You will notice I did not title this:
Preaching
Or
Gospel
Or even
Words.
St. Francis may have said this,
Then again,
Maybe not.
Necessity is the mother
Of invention:
An aphorism
Of unknown origin,
Sometimes ascribed
To Plato,
Then again,
Maybe not.
I hit another crossroads this week.
What is needful,
Remains unclear.
So I wait.
I would like a line-up
Of great saints and philosophers,
Wise sayings.
I am not in a pulpit
These days.
Instead
These are my words.
If necessary
Others may read them
Or not.
These days I have the lady in red
Who feeds the ducks.
These days
I have a sharp shinned hawk
Twenty feet from my window.
He dismembers a small bird,
Maybe a mouse
In full view.
These days the sun
Speaks to me
Necessarily.
St. Francis or Plato or even
Some unknown source
Calls.
I look for the Good News
In it all.
I seek
The necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment