Saturday, January 12, 2013

The return of the lady in red

The ducks are now waddling up the lawn across the creek in back.  The lady in red has once again laid out the corn.  She seems older this year.  Of course she is.  So am I.  Now I have a kitchen that matches her jacket.


I am back in my old place
At the dining room table.
The lady in red
Just fed the ducks.
She moves older
This year.
White hair
A little bent
She still manages
That bucket of corn.
Her jacket
Matches my kitchen.
I knew there was a reason
For red.
Here she comes again
With her black and white
Spotted dog
A shorthair
By the looks of it.
It feels good to be back
In the morning routine
Even if I am not
Hefting corn
For the ducks.
I am older
My hair whiter
This year.
My kitchen matches
Her jacket.

No comments:

Post a Comment