Friday, January 11, 2013

Whim

The only thing I had scheduled for today was cancelled... so I went grocery shopping and, on a whim, decided to get a flu shot.  I get one every other year or two it seems.  Then I came home and watched a sharp shinned hawk eat a mid-afternoon snack as he sat on a tree branch right outside the dining room window.  I think it was a sharp shinned hawk anyway... couldn*t see his knees much less his shins.  Every day that is graced with a hawk sighting counts as good.


I got the flu shot today
On a whim.
It was available
At the pharmacy
Next to the milk cooler
In the grocery store.
In the little inoculation room
There was a list
Of possible inoculations.
I perused the list just like
I consider all the yogurt
In the yogurt aisle.
I always choose Yoplait Light,
The fruity kind.
My beloved chooses
Dannon Coffee.
I considered my choices but still
I had already paid
For the flu shot.
I chose the flu shot
On a whim but still
I remember the ad
I read yesterday.
It said the pharmacy
Was my best bet
For an unspoiled inoculation.
When it appeared right there
Next to the milk
Two aisles over from the yogurt
I figured
Why not?
Indeed why not?


No comments:

Post a Comment