Wednesday, November 2, 2011

To my love

This morning I received a poem in my inbox about marriage being like a bungee jump.  It brought this to mind.  I*ve never done a real bungee jump.  The one at Great America seemed safer, somehow.  Of course it all depends on perspective, like everything else.  

Let me declare this out loud
And in public:
I love you.

Years ago now we went to Great America.
There was a version of the bungee jump,
Only safer (they said).
You agreed to be strapped in with me.
It was not your idea.
When they pulled us up backwards,
I was afraid.
I could not see where we were going.
You held my hand.
When we got to the top,
I pulled the ripcord
So we could drop and swing.
You were afraid
All the way down.
I said It*s ok, it*s ok, it*s ok,
Until we finally went swinging.
I figure we were meant to be
A couple.
When we*re pulled up backwards
You*re there for me.
After the ripcord,
I*ve got your back.
I have no real idea
What this really means
Except I suspect
We were meant
To balance each other out.

I love you
Out loud
In public.

No comments:

Post a Comment