Saturday, November 12, 2011

Substituting church school

I admit it.  I have never been good fitting in with someone else*s curriculum.  But here we are.  Second grade.  Joshua.  One book at a time.

They covered the Pentateuch
With the second graders last week.
45 minutes.
The whole Torah.
Genesis
Exodus
Leviticus
Numbers
Deuteronomy.
The whole shebang.
It blows my mind.
This week I am the substitute.
How do I follow the Torah
In 45 minutes,
When the Creation story alone
Would take me weeks:
One Sunday for each of six days,
One Sunday to rest and bake cookies.
I have determined this Sunday
Is Joshua.
One book at a time for me.
Perhaps we will march around the classroom table
As Jericho
Seven times
Blow our noisemakers on time seven.
Perhaps we will watch
Josh and the Big Wall
Instead.
But still:
One book at a time.

Next week they can pick up
With Judges.
I hope that Ruth
Gets her own week.
Please tell me that there is at least a week
For Ruth.

No comments:

Post a Comment