Tuesday, November 1, 2011

This I know

There are a number of ways I pray.  One is to notice when I am overwhelmed, and ask God to help me.  Sometimes it takes quite awhile for me to ask.  When I finally do, it is amazing how things gain order, and some even drop out of the picture.  When I listen, it is amazing how much God is in the picture.  Of course He is.  Of course She is.  I forget.  It is amazing how much God is in the picture when I remember to notice and listen and ask.

Some days there are too many things
To carry,
So God removes a few of them
From the plate.
Sometimes I wonder
How He knows,
But of course He is God.
He knows
Everything.
I sit in my office
With the window open
Sun and cool air blowing,
Perhaps the last warm day
Of fall.
I listen with one ear
To the garbage truck backing up.
With the other ear
I hear the children sing
Jesus loves me
This I know.
They sing this every day
Before they leave.
The garbage truck is gone.
Soon silence will descend
As children are picked up
One by one.
Some days there are too many things.
God sorts them out
One by one.
Silence descends.
New possibilities emerge.
They leave the overlay
Of sun and breeze,
The silent echo of Jesus loves me
This I know.
Of course I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment