Tuesday, November 8, 2011

More gratefulness

This is my second to the last week at the halfway house.  Tomorrow is my second to the last round of gratefulness prayers.  They happen every Wednesday night at 6:20 PM.  Today I*ve been feeling almost Buddhist.  Centered and focused and aware.  Today I remember the Buddhist at the halfway house, now in the recovery home.  Like all of the men, I hope he makes it this time.

It all comes around
To gratefulness
In the middle of the week.
Maybe it is the beginning.
It depends on where we start
The count.
The men know it all comes around
To gratefulness.
Maybe it is the end after all.

There was a Buddhist in the group
When I started.
Every Wednesday he would be grateful
For the Buddha.
It often felt like he had to say it
Or Buddha would be forgotten
In this place of recovering men:
Grateful for sobriety
Clarity
New possibility
Food and sunshine,
Even especially
One more day.
His giving thanks for the Buddha
Felt like the ante in poker:
I*ll see my Buddha for your
Jesus Christ.
The Wednesday before my seizure
The Buddhist gave thanks for the Buddha
And Jesus Christ.
I thought
Now there*s gratefulness,
Now he*s ready
To move on.
When I returned,
He had moved past
The halfway house
To the recovery home.

No comments:

Post a Comment