Monday, November 14, 2011

Illustrations

Sometimes, even in the best-conceived sermons, with the best illustrations, the most helpful thing may be our coughing during announcements and asking someone else to help.  Thank you, George and Elizabeth!

This week calls to me
From different parts,
To different parts.
To illustrate the parable
My priest named parts
Of what he had done
Last week.
I remember the sermon was well done,
As my priest*s week
Was Well Done,
Good and Faithful Servant.
I hear the illustration.
It rings in my ears.
For the life of me,
I can only remember the illustration.
I was planning church school
In my head.
I remember all the sermons I have preached
When people only remembered
The illustration:
The rope vine
The grapes.

Today I remember what an accomplished week
My priest had.
This week calls to me from different parts
To different parts.
It is very full.
I do not know how it will look
At the end.
But I do know my priest has weeks
Like mine
And, like me,
Needs help
To make it through the announcements.

No comments:

Post a Comment