Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Mothballs

I can make lists of what is wrong with the world.  To start, I can*t find my sunglasses, and these days I need them.  I won*t go on.  Today is not a day for such lists.  Today I did not wake up dizzy and blurred. There is cool air blowing through my office window.  A flock of sandhill cranes just flew overhead.  Even mothballs count for good.  

I knew it would be a fine day:
I didn*t wake up dizzy and blurred.
It*s amazing what counts for good
These days.
Below freezing
I unearthed the scarf,
Discovered  my husband
Had put it in a box
With mothballs.
You were there when I did it,
He said.
Of course I don*t remember.
I smelled naphtha all the way to church.
Now the scarf hangs on the tomato trellis
Outside the church door
In the wind and sun.
It will be ready
When I go home.
Every time I move
I smell mothballs.
It*s amazing what counts for good
These days.
Even mothballs.

No comments:

Post a Comment