Sunday, November 6, 2011

All Saints Sunday

This morning there were two extra priests in attendance.  One preached, one spoke at the adult forum.  All the regular priests were there too...It is an amazing assemblage.  You can*t spit without hitting one.  Not that I would ever spit.  Not me.  Even without a collar, I am still a non-spitting Christian, a priest, even.

Where I go to church
You can*t spit without hitting
A priest.
This morning we had two extra
From Africa.
They were on their way
To different places.
The roster is so large
I can hide safely
In the pew
Without a collar.
I can bring up the bread and wine
With my husband.
I can drink coffee
In the parlor
With the other gad-abouts
While my daughter is in church school.

Where I go to church
I wouldn*t dream of spitting
But still
I might trip over a priest
In the narthex.
Where I go I can enter through the side door
At the last service
While everyone sings my favorite hymn
I Sing a Song of the Saints of God.
I can comfortably belt out the line
About meeting them in shops or at tea.
Even though no spitting
Is involved
I could if I wanted
And probably no one
Would notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment