Friday, August 26, 2011

Complications

All in all this is a reasonable start to the day.  Unplanned, yes, a little complicated, yes, but I find myself glad the busdriver (Bob) was a minute late today.  Today*s serendipity got an early start.  I*ve had my oatmeal and am halfway through the venti nonfat latte.  The weather is lovely.  Today I can choose what to do.  There will probably be no earthquakes or hurricanes or tidal waves to contend with.  I say probably.  The East Coast was not expecting that earthquake.  They have warning about the hurricane.  

Everything is complicated.
At least this
Is what we tell ourselves,
When the school bus is a minute early
After being two minutes late
Yesterday.
I am the designated morning parent.
Jeff does late night.
Everything is complicated
I handle morning complications;
Jeff handles
The complications
In the dark.
It*s a matter of choosing
Which complications
To live with
Which ones to divvy out
Which ones to pretend
We never even saw.
This morning
The bus one minute late,
I rolled out of bed
Realized early the lovely coolness of today,
Drove the girl to school
Came home the back way
Through Starbucks
Oatmeal with everything
A latte from the same smiling woman
At the drive-thru window.
Complications with added routine,
Noticed the lovely coolness
Earlier than I would have
If the bus had been on time.
It*s a matter
Of choosing.

No comments:

Post a Comment