Sunday, August 21, 2011

Who do you say that I am?


We are given a  lot of places to recognize Jesus.  The opportunities are endless.  I used to preach every Sunday in a variety of pulpits.  Now I have a daily discipline of writing what I notice on a blog.  I recognize this discipline may change over time.  Today, as it happens, I am home from church with a cold.  My husband and daughter are ushering, then assisting in the nursery.  My son is coming through with a U-Haul tonight, moving from Maryland to Minnesota.  It will be good to have him closer.  We are given a lot of places and times to recognize Jesus.  Like this morning, sitting in the blue chair, reading what everyone else is hearing this morning in church.  The opportunities are endless.

Who do you say that I am?
It*s the question of the day.
Today Peter gets it right
For once.

Jeff and I saw Cowboys and Aliens last night.
On the sidewalk outside the theater
A group of young men gathered.
The aliens were simply not believable
One said.
To linger would have been obvious,
So we didn*t.
Over ice cream we wondered
About believable aliens.
We decided aliens were usually slimy
Or scaly,
On occasion, robotic.

You are the Messiah, the Son of God.
This time Peter gets it right.
Peter, encouraged to walk on water
Tried it
And sank.
Of course he is the one who denies Jesus
Three times.
Even then Jesus knew
It would take Peter three denials
Finally to realize the Truth again.
You are the Messiah, the Son of God.

I saw Jesus in the parking lot yesterday.
He looked like anyone and everyone.
He sleeps at a different church
Every night.
He sat at a picnic table in the shade,
Parked his bike out of the sun.
Yesterday, to me,
He was believable.

No comments:

Post a Comment