Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Goals


The internship experience continues interesting and frustrating and clarifying.  Two-thirds through I name my goals.  Two-thirds through I find out that being available MWTh 1-9:30 PM doesn*t mean exactly that I need to be there MWTh 1-9:30 PM.  I was reminded by another intern: Remember you*re an intern.  You*re not being paid for this.  I, of course, have not been paid for a lot of what I do, and was treating intern time like I do any commitment I have made, paid or not.  Now, two-thirds through, I find that it means: Let them know when I won*t be there.  So now I have Monday evenings with my daughter.  A gift.

Two-thirds through the internship
I compile goals.
They have bullet points to match
All the pieces I have already done
With one or two yet to do.
I would not have known
The particular ways of the halfway house
Before I began.
At the beginning, I was asked
Do you have anything in particular
You would like to do?
I said
I*d like to learn whatever I can
About how this place works.
When you don*t know the particulars
It*s hard to know which particular things
Are there.
I did not expect I would eat dinner
Three nights a week
With the guys.
I did not expect ten minutes
Of gratefulness every Wednesday.

I did not expect
Two-thirds through
That I would be so clear
About next steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment