Saturday, August 6, 2011

Prayer as breath

The Bishop is leading a pilgrimage to the Holy Land.  On this, the Feast of the Transfiguration, he prayed in the Church of the Holy Sepulcher for all of us.  I am certain that his prayer holds breath, as everyone*s prayers hold breath.  My breathing today holds prayers for a family waiting for their adopted child to be released into their care from Ethiopia, for friends seeking jobs, for all the guys in the halfway house, for my daughter who just returned from the mission trip to Mississippi where she learned demolition.  She returned with a wealth of stories.  I am grateful that all the molecules mix together and the prayers are all connected, whether breathing in or breathing out.  There are so many prayers I don*t have exact words for.  I figure in our breathing together, God has it covered.

As I grow older
Perhaps no wiser
But certainly older,
I grow more certain that prayer
Holds breath:
My prayer,
Others* prayer for me.
Today I prayed for all of Ethiopia,
For a friend without a job,
For the guys in the halfway house
Especially the new guy coming in
On Monday.
Today I found out my bishop
Breathed for me
In the Church of the Holy Sepulcher
Filled his lungs and heart,
Prayed for all in the Diocese
In a single certain breath.
I think I am surely older
God-willing wiser
But certainly older.
I know all prayer
Holds the breath of God.
I breathe it in and it contains molecules
From the Church of the Holy Sepulcher
Old and just as wise as all breath.
I breathe it out and it spreads through
The whole world
Even Ethiopia.

No comments:

Post a Comment