Saturday, August 20, 2011

Picnic table


When I left the church this afternoon, there was a man on a bike in the parking lot.  He had his possessions strapped to the back of the bike, a well-worn Bible on top.  We talked.  And talked.  And talked.  Could he sit at the picnic table?  The picnic table always seems to be in a different place.  After we moved it into the shade, I pictured it being moved time and again into the shade, Jesus sitting there regularly.

I met Jesus this afternoon
Just outside the church.
He rode his bike in the parking lot
Said he was spending tonight
At Wheaton Bible.
He went through detox three times
Years ago
Before he found Jesus.
His scripture verses all lined up
King James.
It stopped him from drinking
Again.
I met Jesus
Homeless this afternoon.
We moved the picnic table,
He and I,
Into the shade
So he had room
Out of the sun.
Tonight he will be Wheaton Bible.
Tomorrow the Congregational Church.
Now
The picnic table
Outside the church
In the shade.

I always find the picnic table moved
To a different place.
Now I know
Jesus sits there
In the shade.
At the picnic table
There is room.

No comments:

Post a Comment