Friday, August 5, 2011

Learning the rules

I*ve been an intern (second time around) for over a month at the halfway house.  There are rules at the halfway house... for the guys who live there... sure... but also rules for interns, rules for head residents, rules for counselors.  I continue to learn the rules here.  When I have questions, I ask them (that*s rule #1 for interns... a good thing for me)  Sometimes it is tempting to think that rules in themselves are stupid.  Usually I find good reason for the rules.

The guys at the halfway house
Have to learn,
Then follow
 The rules.
They are given big brothers
To show them the ropes.
And still
Everyone counts
As a big brother.
Some squeeze their eyes shut
So they don*t see,
Put their fingers in their ears
Like children I know
Sing la la la.
There are infractions,
Then strikes for those who don*t follow
The rules of the house.
Three strikes and everyone knows
What that means.
Be on time
Make your bed
Clean up after yourself
If you don*t have a job,
Look for one.
Show
You are really looking.
Don*t ever drink or drug.
Today is there to be today,
Tomorrow will take care of itself.
The guys at the halfway house
Have rules to follow.
Like all of us, they sometimes forget
The rules.
Like all of us
Sometimes they think the rules
Don*t apply to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment