Friday, May 9, 2014

Oh so fine

Lunch this week with friends.  They asked questions I could not answer.  I am aware that I am in the midst of reclamation of things I had put aside for some time, and subtraction of things somehow extraneous.  Perhaps I have always been doing this.  Perhaps this is a piece of what it means to be human.  I rather like that thought.  Perhaps I have been doing what I was called to do all along.

Doors and windows wide open
The world intrudes
Cardinals
Dogs
Trains
The occasional airplane
Overhead
Distant cars from the Elgin-O’Hare:
It originates
In neither place.
Doors and windows open
The breeze blows through
Slightly chilly but oh
So fine.
I claim back
What I must,
Continue subtraction of all
With no internal sense
Or sensibility
Until what remains is clear
Then
Clearer still.
It blows through
Slightly chilly, yes,
But oh
So fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment