Wednesday, May 21, 2014

White fragrance

I was the Wednesday celebrant this noon.  I rarely do this.  Today was John Eliot, a provisional bracketed saint.  We're trying him out.  I believe his final vote for inclusion in the calendar is at the upcoming General Convention.  We'll see.   Then... home to find a clematis I'd given up for dead with at least six blossoms, fragrant as all get out.  A scan around the yard finds three more clematis I'd given up on, leafing out to beat the band.  It must be the year of the clematis.  Who knew?

I come home
From celebrating a bracketed saint
He has one more vote to go
Before he makes
The semi-official list.
I come home
Find the fragrant white clematis
Clings to the burning bush.
I gave it up for dead
Last year.
Two leaves
Then nothing.
Now
It is finally time
For garden twine,
Time to trim back
The burning bush,
Give white fragrance
Free reign.

No comments:

Post a Comment