Friday, November 11, 2011

We are never paid what we are worth

I write this knowing it may not be heard as politically correct.   I write it as a first level licensed professional counselor (LPC) who has both so much particular experience (as priest) and not enough countable experience (as therapist) to be employed in a system which will only reimburse second level licensed counselors (LCPC).   Both seem to be used as reasons not to employ me.  I suspect, once again, it is, in part, a translation issue.  I may as well be speaking Pakistani.  

But really, beyond the counseling profession, in all of life, none of us is ever paid what we are worth.  

I am coming into my last week at internship.  It has been a blessing, all the way around.... the men in the halfway house, the counselors.  I have watched lives changed almost weekly.  I have paid for the experience.  It is well worth it.  In reality, I could never pay enough.

I have never been paid what I*m worth.
No one has.

A friend worked in Pakistan.
It was customary for foreigners to hire young men
To run errands.
The friend thought it demeaning
To the young men.
So he didn*t do it.
He was brought around by a particular young man.
In Pakistani the young man said
This is how I make my living,
It is an honorable living.
He was hired.
Happily he ran errands.
He was paid the going rate.
Of course
The rate was not
What the man was worth.
It never is.

I have never been paid what I*m worth
No one has.

I am a priest with degrees and licenses,
Soon a certificate.
I have years and years
Of experience.
Every place I go
There are things to learn,
People to learn from.
Most of my experience now
Is not for pay.
Still I need to be paid.
This is how I make my living
It is an honorable living.

I will never be paid what I am worth.
No one ever is.

No comments:

Post a Comment