Friday, April 5, 2013

Cost


Holy stories are not limited to the ones told in church or between office walls.  There is holiness in the listening and in the telling.  Sometimes it*s hard to tell who should be paying whom.  There is always cost involved, somehow.  Sometimes money changes hands.  


Yesterday brought
Eight countable hours.
Three I was paid for.
Two cost me money:
The trainer
The hairdresser.
Both had deep stories.
The hairdresser even cleaned my glasses
So I could see my new haircut
More clearly.
I re-met a woman from church
On the street corner.
She has learned to pass
With adequate social skills.
This comes
With clear cost
To her.
We shook hands when we met,
Shook hands
When I left.
When I turned around,
She had disappeared
Entirely.
Everything costs something.
Sometimes we pay.
Sometimes we are paid.
Sometimes the exchange
Is simply, purely, free.

No comments:

Post a Comment