Saturday, April 6, 2013

The next right thing


My beloved and I sit at the dining table, name the things which must be tossed or given away.  This weekend we will completely clear the room for our exchange student.  Next weekend is for redecoration.  

I think about the person I sat with years ago who had a dirty white chair in her living room.  It loomed every time she walked in the house.  We made a plan together to get that white chair cleaned by the next time we met..  That one simple act got her unstuck.  It seemed magical to me. AA often talks about doing the next right thing.  I found myself offering the same counsel this week to another client.  Today we sit at the dining table and identify the next right thing for this weekend.


The room which will hold
Our French exchange student
Beckons.
Now the door,
cracked open,
Allows the possibility
Of emptying,
Then cleaning.
The Halloween decorations scream:
Light-up eyeballs,
Shivering ghosts,
The spider we put
In the front hallway
Many years ago.
Mr Green,
The talking miniature Christmas tree:
He cackles.
Endless partial rolls
Of red and green wrapping paper
We never could find every Christmas.
So each year
We added more.
The candle lights
For every window
Are there.
One fell
Burned a hole in my carpet
In Boston.
The room beckons
With holiday trappings,
Its door cracked open.
The deadline looms.
Two weeks from now
France arrives to stay with us
For two weeks.
All three of us
Most always
Work to deadline.


No comments:

Post a Comment