Monday, April 8, 2013

Warmer spring rain


When my daughter wants to go early to school, I drive her there and am enough awake to stay up when I return home.  The house is quiet.  This is my favorite time to write.  Today spring is more than a possibility.  The rain softens things.  It invites new growth.  It amplifies the sound of trains.  It brings out hope in birdsong.      Me too.

Today may well be a day
To bask
In warmer spring rain.
When I drove my girl
To school
It was 45 degrees.
Newly awake
I tried to change the outside temperature
On the car dashboard.
If all goes as promised
The weather will achieve
The 60*s by afternoon.
Quite an accomplishment
I say out loud
To no one in particular,
My beloved and the cat
Sound asleep upstairs.
What do they know now
Except a warm bed?
I listen to the train.
It is always louder
When it runs on wet tracks.
Today is a day
To bask in warm spring rain

No comments:

Post a Comment