Thursday, April 4, 2013

April


I told the people at the interview that I was flexible.  I really am... mostly.  Truth is that I also like some order to my life.  Everything does not need to be neat and tidy, but I do appreciate some order.  It seems I am still learning flexibility, and working to translate it into new opportunities.  I am the master (mistress?) of putting the best spin on things.  Still, from time to time, I need to sit and breathe, maybe just consider the very next thing... even call to fit in a haircut between clients.

When I flipped the calendar
To April,
I found eight cross-outs
Already.
The exchange student arrives
A week earlier than I thought.
He will stay for two weeks
Not ten days.
I work my way
Into a hospitable  
Frame of mind.
My Tuesday evening client has moved
To Thursday.
The more leisurely drive
To Minnesota
On the First of May
Has moved to the less leisurely Second.
I still wait to hear about a possible job.
I take a deep breath
And another one.
I rearrange the month around
Cross-outs
Write-ins
What-ifs.                                 
I continue to work out
Tuesdays and Thursdays.
I breathe in.
I breathe out.
I hold what is next
In front of me.
I call to get a haircut
Between clients today.
I breathe in.
I breathe out.

No comments:

Post a Comment