Monday, May 16, 2011

Birthday dinner

This evening I find hope in four young women sharing friendship and laughter.   Sometimes I am not particularly happy about living in Roselle or Chicago or even Illinois.  Then I am reminded again about the wealth of people with whom I live.  Often it is my children who bring me those reminders.

Tonight we had birthday pizza and pasta,
Brownie dessert with whipped cream.
Now she is fifteen:
Daughter with three friends,
Dark-haired, almost fifteen.
All seem alike,
Young woman laughter,
Joyous.
They teach each other to speak
Polish
Arabic
Spanish.
All the times I think we should move,
I learn again why
We should stay.
It is a lesson I will learn
Again and again.
They laugh at girl things,
Young woman things,
These dark-haired friends:
Muslim
Roman Catholic.
My daughter says there is not one other
Practicing Episcopalian
In her whole high school.
She would know.

All the way home they practice
British , perhaps Australian, accents
In the back seat,
And laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment