Friday, May 27, 2011

I never know what will bloom tomorrow

I think I have prepared the talks for the retreat ten times over.  No, it is not the perfectionist streak which I know I have.  It is more the delightful surprise of not knowing what comes next, what will bloom tomorrow.  It may well change as I present it.  I realize that while I have always claimed to preach and write short, for this there is a wealth of possibility

I never know what will bloom tomorrow.
The presentation for next weekend
Has changed
Every other day at least.
The spaces I try to keep the same
So I can easily flow with change
Bloom different
Every day.
This afternoon will offer a haircut.
The flowers I picked from the lawn
False Solomon*s Seal,
Something purple on a stalk,
Stray grass pulled
Will mean something different
Tomorrow.
I never know what will bloom,
What will die,
Where the meaning will surface
Or fade.
I used to wait until the last minute
To prepare
I learn so much more this way
Now that I always prepare.
It is not a model of efficiency.
Now I do not know what will bloom
At all.
Now I wait
For the surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment