Monday, May 9, 2011

It is easier to mark things as blessed in spring

I am mulling over the bishop blessing my therapy/spiritual direction/consulting office next Sunday.  He will be at St. Mark*s and confirm our confirmands.  I*m thinking something really simple.  My office-mate Robin asked if he would mark the blessing in chalk.  Which got me thinking.  I have an image of chalk marks everywhere this spring.  I think of all the houses that are blessed in the Epiphany season, with chalk dates on the entryway.  Perhaps there will be chalk involved.

It is easier to mark things as blessed
In spring.
The house sparrows build their nest
In our gutter,
The pink trees
Redbud, crabapple even pinker
today.
There was a special notice
For crabapples overnight,
All crabapples everywhere:
Through the dirt?
In the air?
Today is the day for the full pink show.
Even
The clematis in the backyard,
The one I knew
Had long been buried,
Started green,
Began one simple vine,
Two leaves.
Did it know I was set to move the trellis
For something more in need
Of support?
It is easier now to mark things as obviously
Blessed.

Here:  Let us mark the gutter in chalk
With cross and date,
The crabapple
The redbud.
Hang a flag from the trellis
In the backyard
Here is life
Here there will be life
If you watch long enough.

Let us cross and date
The patch of dirt next to the rhubarb
Ready now for harvest and sauce,
Cross and date the planters in front
With tiny Sweet William plants.

Now is the obvious time to mark
Everything we see
As blessed,
Let us especially mark
The dirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment