Saturday, May 14, 2011

Texas Dirt (for Adrian)

It seems there is something different about Texas.  The dirt is only the beginning point.  I am proud to be from Minnesota, but clearly it is not the same thing.  Not the same thing at all.  Not at all. 
A blessed Happy Homecoming to Adrian and Trey and Matthew and Duncan and Douglas.  Bon voyage.  Yippie yi ki yay.

I have a friend.
She moves home to Texas
In a month.

When her babies were born north
Of Texas,
She put Texas dirt under the delivery bed.
The right soil is important
To her.
Texas soil.
She will move home
To Texas dirt,
The humus
Only Texas can supply.

I visited Texas once.
It was hot.
I remember the Alamo,
Gentlemen, remove your hats.
I don*t remember anything in particular
About the soil.
But I wouldn*t.
I am not from Texas.

I am originally from Minnesota.
I admit a fondness for lakes.
Both my babies were born in Illinois
No soil or lakewater under the delivery bed.
They are from Illinois.

But Texas?
Once it was going to be
A different country.
When people move back home to Texas,
They repatriate.
When they cross the border
They throw their hats in the air,
Take off their shoes,
Dig their toes in the soil,
The Dirt,
Texas Dirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment