Friday, May 20, 2011

Maybe sunflowers

Last year I was content to observe what grew in the yard.  I barely had my hands in the dirt, at all.  
Last year I also observed other plans completely change before my eyes.  It occurred to me to ask: Why plan?  Why plan anything at all?  What is that expression:  God laughs when we make plans?  Still, I realize a corner has been turned when I start planning again.  Of course I never stopped, really.  I may not have been driving around town, but I have learned and re-learned things standing and sitting, watching and waiting, even walking the unplowed sidewalks in the weeks after that February snowstorm.  Spring seemed late this year.  Maybe it is not too late to consider heirloom seeds.

It is late to order seeds
From the heirloom catalogue.
Past mid-May,
I look for the possibility
Of fast growth,
To catch up
Where I would have been
If I had planted before now.
It is late to consider seeds.
Seeds that have seen years and years
Of possibility
Flowers and fruit.

There are flats of annuals
At the garden store
Alas
Annuals have trends
Like everything else.
The nicotiana which drew the sphinx moth
Years ago
Is no longer in style.
Even perennials
Come and go.

It is late to drool over seeds
From the heirloom catalogue.
I consider them anyway.
Tomatoes are obviously
for next year,
The particular heirloom cucumber,
Seeds collected from pickle makers
In Germany.
The varieties of lettuce hold possibility
This year.
Sunflowers hold a page of their own.
I see sunflowers in a row
along the fence.

It is late but I think
Maybe lettuce,
Maybe sunflowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment