Wednesday, May 4, 2011

God is more real than anything I know

About this time 28 years ago I was sitting with the Examining Chaplains of the Diocese of Indianapolis.  The other candidates that year had sustained all seven areas on their General Ordination Exams.  I sustained six, and *neutralled* theology.  This meant that I was the central focus.  It was a long, and now that I look back, random, almost pointless meeting.  Since that time I have learned an immense amount, read countless books, served in a wide variety of settings.  I have grown into the Priesthood, and am blessed six ways to Sunday.  I suspect I would still *neutral* theology.

Years ago now
I took the exams for ordination.
Despite classes on Rahner and Pannenburg,
I did not pass the theology exam.
I did not fail
Either.
Years ago
Being tested,
I received a neutral
In theology.
The readers could not tell
Either way.

Twenty eight years later I know
I have never been a systematic
Theologian.
The chances are close to nil
I ever will be.
The exact relation of Father to Son to Holy Spirit
Has never been clear.
All are real.
All dance together as one
A circle dance which weaves
In and out.
Before seminary
I was asked if God speaks to me.
I said I had seen no burning bushes
But this felt right.

Now, when I sit with people I often know
What it seems God is saying to them.
I feel the Holy in thin places.
I can even say the Creed without crossing my fingers
Most times.
Over the years I have learned obedience.
This life in Christ is anything but systematic,
At least as far as I can tell.
It is God*s system
That matters.
I follow it as best I know and continue to experience
Amazing comeuppance
Still more amazing adventure.
Often, I am surprised.

I am no systematic theologian.
If I took an exam today
I believe I would still register
Neutral.
And God is more real than anything I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment