Thursday, June 9, 2011

Advice

I spent a lot of time playing games growing up.  Monopoly (surely), but also Mah Jongg and checkers, hopscotch and foursquare.  Outside of solitaire, usually the games required other people playing too.  I think of all the things that are so much better with the input of others (as if I have all the answers!).  When I think to ask for that input, it is often hard to listen.  So I give myself credit for asking, and work on the listening part.  Today I see the neurologist to go over the second MRI.  Last night I got a call saying I could do the internship I have set up for the fall, Right Now.  Hmmm.  Hmmm.  I am asking this morning for time to consider the possibility.  Play Monopoly for a few nights.

When I ask for advice
I really do think I want it,
Then I find myself with questions
About most of the bits.
When it doesn*t line up
With my particulars,
I give myself credit
For asking.
Listening?
Fully listening?
Not so much.

But late at night
Advice plays a board game
In my head,
Like Monopoly
Passes Go,
Collects $200.
The particulars play along
One is the race car
One the thimble.
New possibilities
Emerge.
I consider buying Boardwalk
Park Place
Even the Utilities.
I consider things
I never would have thought
On my own.
And it really doesn*t matter
Who has the most property
In the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment