Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Lessons learned at the doctor*s office

One of my clergy friends wore a red hat to the bishop*s retirement party.  It was awesome.  I could never have pulled it off (I don*t do hats well, any size hat).  She, however, wore it well, with panache.

Usually I am able to sluff off patronizing remarks, though some days are more difficult.   I have made it through the six month no-driving thing, and am out the other side, for now.  And now there is another test ordered to scan my carotid arteries.  

Somehow planting the elderberry bush, and planting it deep, seemed the right thing to do after that doctor visit.

A doctor my age or older
Is less likely
to patronize me.
Even the doctor*s gender
Does not seem
A determining factor.
I understand
I am now
In the older category.
I still have a fifteen year old
At home
And getting a physical
For an internship
Is not just
A nice way to keep busy.
I would rather garden.

The internship will not be
Pleasant volunteer work
Making lace doily placemats
For the nursing home.

Oh sure
I think, but do not say,
 I*ll come back
For regular TB tests
So I can see all of you
More often.

Yesterday I planted
The elderberry bush
Next to the rhubarb.
I dug deep so its roots
Would find a home
Next to the rhubarb roots.
I will watch it bloom and fruit
But first I want to make sure
Its roots
Have room enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment