Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Weather prayers

It*s hard not to focus on weather.  We*ve gone from cold to intense heat almost overnight.  For a fall and spring girl, this is tough to take.  But we do have air-conditioning at home, and my basement office at church was cool yesterday.  I remember growing up in a house with fans.  There was a science to when we turned the fans on and off.  My room had an attic fan that was used at night to draw out the hot air.  

Lord, for all the weather everywhere, bring enough moderation that we know it is You.  Your rain falls everywhere, on the just and unjust (we*re told).  Please send some to Santa Fe, and ease the fires in Arizona.

It promises hot again today
Cooler tomorrow.
My sister asks for rain in Santa Fe
Perhaps the calming of wildfires
In Arizona.
I*ve had good luck
Praying for rain
And snow.
Sometimes, though, it ends up more
Than I thought.
Once more I find out
I*m not in charge.
Amazing the way
The reminders come.
It seems
I might have a precipitation niche.
I*ve not tried calming wildfires.

Once for a festival
We held hands
Prayed for cooling rains
On a hot day
Just enough Lord
Oh yes and a gentle breeze.
When we got what we had ordered,
Exactly what we had ordered,
The people came and celebrated.
The neighborhood came together.
The two clouds blew across the sky
Back and forth
Dappled the sun
Misted the people
Just enough.
The breeze
Was perfect.

You couldn*t  tell me
It was anything
But God.

No comments:

Post a Comment