Saturday, June 11, 2011

Elderberry

The name of the bush did not resonate with me until I got it home and opened the trunk of the car (Yes, I*m Still Driving!).(Thank you for asking).  It is named Black Lace and it has intense purple-black foliage, finely-cut, similar to a Japanese Maple.  It can be pruned in a formal way, or used as a privacy hedge.  See? What did I tell you?   Elder and Graceful and Elegant.  And saucy enough to grab me by the ankle, and make me take it home.

The last elderberry bush
In the whole nursery
Leapt and grabbed my ankle
Tripped me to the ground.
I had to buy it.
Now I need to find
Where it will live
In the yard.
I think its name
Is no surprise:
The elder part.
All the same it is graceful
And elegant,
Two things I have always
Wanted to be.
Despite appearances
I have coveted grace
And elegance
While not being willing
To give up comfortable shoes
And garden dirt
Under my nails.
I have desired boundless grace
Effortless elegance.
I will plant the bush
Where it will bloom pink
Provide fruit for the birds
In full sight
Of the dining room window.

Grace and elegance are good things
To witness daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment