Wednesday, June 22, 2011

References

So many of my friends and acquaintances are now in the job search.  I realize I am always at at least a partial loss re: what to put on my resume, and always have been.  The things I do best are often undefinable.  I see connections between people and institutions.  I like being on the edges of things: I see better there.  And references?  Who do I put down for references when so much of the work I do is sight unseen, and is best done that way?  When I can leave the proverbial silver bullet, and be thrilled to watch a person shine with new light and life, even a little?

It rains again.
I watch the spider between the screen and window
Still going strong.
Me too.

Along with so many friends these days,
I consider my references.
These are the people who know my work.
These are the people
Who would even praise me to the skies.

There is at least one
With no home address
No phone.
Some make secret visits,
Perch on the sofa in my office.
Some are only comfortable
If we meet at Starbucks.
Some find me outside public restrooms,
Or when our toenails are drying
Newly pinkly polished
At the nail salon.
These are the people I would never name.
Even if I knew their names.
They will never be the ones
On the bottom of my resume,
Or In finely-nuanced italics
On Linked-In.

These are my real references.
They will net me no paid job
At all.
Yet these are the references which tell me
Yes
Yes
This is what you must do:
Even when it rains
And I am the spider
Healthy between the screen and window
Going strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment