Friday, June 10, 2011

Lessons learned not driving: a beginning

Now I am on the other side.  I am still waiting for some answers, but in the meantime I have an internship which came through the day before the doctor visit yesterday, the same one I had scheduled for the fall... but the summer person cancelled... so I start in a week and a half.  And I am driving again.  Few people hitchhike these days, but I am in danger of picking up everyone I see who could use a ride.  My husband was truly lovely in driving me places... TRULY!  But there really is something about being able to drive myself.  It*s a gift, a gift even more precious this side of things.

I have learned
I can walk to the grocery store
The hardware store
The pharmacy
The bank.
ATM machines look different
On foot.

The shortcut through the park
Is not the one to take
When there are two feet of snow
On the ground.
I re-remembered plastic bags
In boots,
Though they didn*t keep my feet as much dry
As sweaty.
I have avoided MacDonalds
It is somehow easier to avoid
On foot.
I have newly appreciated the Subway lady.
She knows everyone,
Who their children are
And when she saw you last
Even if it was two years ago.
She remembers that Erik
Always ordered the Classic Italian BMT.

I have learned
A little more patience
Except when it got to be too much.
Then I was a paragon
Of low tolerance
And snappishness.

I have learned there is always more to learn
When I have to go slower.
I even saw more tracks
In the snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment