Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Some mornings I sleep too long

Today is a cleaning day, one of my least favorite activities.  I like things clean, or at least clean-er.  The process of getting things there... No.  Not really.  I am not helped along by the rest of the family, either.  Sleeping in seems a good option... until the dreams take over... I am not blind to the metaphor of being left in the middle of the desert... or the cat having a life of his own while we look for lightbulbs...

Some mornings
If I stay in bed too long
The dreams get overly creative.
This morning included a Rastafarian
Telling Bible stories.
When he got to the Israelites in the desert,
Other people came through the door.
He said he was done with us
Asked for payment.
Wait,
I said
Wait.
You can*t leave us
In the middle of the desert.
There*s more to the story
Than that.
I guess the others
Got the rest of the story.

We left and decided to take the cat
To the hardware store.
As we looked for lightbulbs
The people at the cash register
Talked to the cat,
Called him by name
And he answered.
I said to my husband
He must come here
When we aren*t around.
This made perfect sense.
Even though he is an inside cat,
We figured the hardware store
Is close
To where we live,
And every cat
Needs a life of his own.

Some mornings I sleep way too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment