Saturday, September 24, 2011

Container

I write this through a blur.  I am holding the hands of kind people, most especially my husband, who gets my sense of humor, and understands my need to laugh through things, particularly hard things.  My supervisor/therapist (thank you, Steve) offered the thought that the people who surrounded me when I had the seizure and concussion provided me with a kind of holy container.  That feels right.  He said that before my vision suddenly blurred in my left eye at 11:00 AM yesterday.  People, kind people, have continued to surround me: the ER, the ophthalmologist, my wonderful kind funny husband Jeff, who gets my sense of humor,  Wonderful containing people.  I am blessed, no matter what comes next.

God provides a container
In the people around me.
It is clear to me now.
As each new thing hits,
It seems unrelated
To the others.
The only thing they hold in common
Is the people
Who gather around me.
Whether my head or eyes,
They hold my hand.
They understand what I find funny.
They share the joke:
The spiritual care people who wear green
In the ER,
One who looks like a gnome
Without the red pointed cap;
The Indian Mutt and Jeff
I met again last night in the MRI:
They recognized me from before,
Offered the same show they gave in June.

All of them contain me
See me
Share the joke
No matter what comes next.

No comments:

Post a Comment