Monday, September 26, 2011

Apple-picking

It is apple-picking season.  Someone else is going to have to pick apples for me this year.  It*s not like I pick apples every year.  I don*t.  But this year I am very aware of not picking apples, and also knowing that others are picking them for me.  And making apple butter and apple cider and even apple pie.  

The necessary conversations
Have been had
For Monday morning in the rain.
I have made the doctor appointments.
They coordinate with people who can drive
And tell jokes
At the same time.
Forget walking and chewing gum.
Coffee waits, blurred, at my left hand.
I would like to write
About apple picking
Except I have picked
No apples
This fall.
Instead I see snippets
Of God*s timeline stretched out.
I pick a date here,
An occasion there.
I know it all comes together
At the end,
In more than a bushel basket
More than apple cider
More than apple butter
More than the best apple pie
Baked with the most love and care
In the world.
It all comes together in the end,
Whether I ever go picking apples
This fall
Or not.
Even if it all stays blurred
Like the coffee
At my left hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment