Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Yesterday counted as a full day

I*m not sure the purpose of a holiday is to cram more work into the remaining four day week.  Even if it is Labor Day.  Today I am writing and reflecting on internship for class tonight.  I studiously avoided it over the weekend.  We all slept in Saturday and Monday.  Sleep is important.  I think I may have licked the lingering cold, and feel like I can move and think again.  I did get the garden bed weeded, but when I highlight accomplishments, it has to be sleep.

I listen to people complain
About cramming in five work days
Into four.
I think they miss the point
Of work subtraction.
Yesterday was not called Labor Day
For nothing.
Yesterday still counted as a full day
No matter what the occupation:
If you slept in
Until eleven,
Gardened,
Built a wall,
Prayed for all those without jobs,
Gave thanks for the work
You do the rest of the week.
There was even a lightness of being
At the hardware store.
They treated it like a Saturday,
Offered free popcorn.
The cash register lady made sure
I got the cheap leather garden gloves
With the rebate.
Yesterday counted
As a full day
Paid or unpaid.
There was even popcorn.

No comments:

Post a Comment