Thursday, September 29, 2011

Michaelmas

I wonder as the seminary moves near the airport, as the bishop*s body has been re-interred in Wisconsin, as the stained glass saints are now part of Northwestern University... what will happen to Michaelmas term?  Fall term doesn*t capture it in the same way at all.  All the angels will need re-inventing in the new place near the airport.

I remember the beginning
Of Michaelmas term
In seminary.
I had never heard of Michaelmas
Before then.
I was very Protestant,
Though a number of my classmates
Nodded knowingly.
At least they pretended
To know.

Michael and all the angels
Stood on our shoulders,
Sat next to us,
Inhabited the stained glass.
We stood and knelt,
Prayed and sat between the stained glass saints,
William Palmerston Anderson
(his body)
Buried underneath the altar.
There was something of comfort
About all the angels gathered,
Led by Michael the dragon-slayer.
I remember
It was something of comfort
In this new place.

No comments:

Post a Comment