Friday, September 2, 2011

Twine

Nostalgia visits us all.  I wonder whether nostalgia for the good ole days is wrapped up in Francis Johnson*s Twine Ball in Darwin, MN.  I grew up in Minneapolis, and even though Darwin is west of the Minneapolis, I had never heard of it.  There are no major roads which head due west. 

 I understand people in the Great Depression used to save bits of string, tied together, wrapped in a ball, so they could use the bits as needed.  Twine is harder to save, and once wrapped into a giant ball and surrounded by a weather proof gazebo, its purpose is for pure amazement and to attract people to head out west on small country roads.  It becomes a destination.  My encounter with twine brings up different memories.

Francis Johnson of Darwin, Minnesota
Is responsible
For the largest twine ball
In the world.
The second Saturday in August
Is designated as
Twine Ball Days
Every year.
I wonder if it used to be a week-long
Celebration.

I know twine.
Every summer we found mounds of leftover twine
From the hay bales the burros were fed all year,
At the Cabin
On the Lake
In the Barn
In the middle of the North Woods
Of Minnesota.
Everyone went North in the summer
To the Cabin
On the Lake.
Ours had burros and a big red barn
Surrounded by trees.
Ours had burros,
Their brays echoed
With the loons across the lake.
Ours had leftover twine
In the hayloft.
We used twine to lash together forts
And treehouses
In the woods.

Here in my fifties
I find myself invested
In determining the use for every bit of twine
I have saved
On the twine ball
Of my life.
What a hokey image.
What will be tied together by my twine
Today?
There may indeed be good use
For all of it.
Twine,
Stories told of twine,
I lay them out end to end to end

Here In my fifties I unroll the ball
And look for the other end.


No comments:

Post a Comment