Friday, September 20, 2013

Begin again

I found a book at Logan Airport.  It was number 18 on the best seller list.  I have not been paying attention to best sellers in recent years.  They are too often a disappointment.  Research shows this Logan Airport book has been on the best seller list for over  a year.  Really?  The title caught me: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs.  How could I not reel it in and at least look into its eyes?  It reminds me of the time I discovered The Very Persistent Gappers of Frip by George Saunders (years ago now) and bought a number of the books when they went on remainder.  I gave them out as Christmas gifts that year.  One, maybe two, of the recipients was as enchanted as I was.  It seems to be the way with books.  Best seller lists are often not the best source for me.  Until, of course, they are.

There was a time
I read new fiction
Voraciously.
Even in college,
Translating Homer,
I fit new books
Between those pages,
Gobbled new authors
To find the few
Who spoke to my whimsy,
Turned the world
Upside down
Inside out;
Authors who said
Think of it
This way
That way
Practice a headstand
While reading.
Don*t go to sleep
Until you find the end,
Begin again.
Fly cast
For books.
Pull them in,
Look fully into their eyes,
Let them go.
Begin again.
Always
Begin again.

No comments:

Post a Comment