Friday, April 8, 2011

Asymptote

Of course this has nothing to do with mathematics, except I think I have the curve part right.  And when we religious types talk about a WORD coming to us, usually it*s not something like asymptote.  But really, God can use anything and everything to teach us what we need to learn.  That*s the beauty of it all, really.  That*s the beauty.  When we pay attention, that*s the beauty.

When a word flies at one
In the middle of the night,
Has been pitched so hard
It hits one*s head
So as to
Wake one up:
It behooves one
To do something with it.
Here is my something.

Asymptote

I thank the God of computer dictionaries
In the middle of the night.
Asymptote:
It seems an imaginary mathematical curve
Which flies in from Infinity and Beyond,
Curves around and returns on a path
Beyond infinity
Equal to the one it took
To get here.
Purely imaginary, mind you.
Mathematicians would write a different poem.
Me?
I hear that preacher who knows that nothing has come together
But preaches anyway,
The person in the pew who is struck by a word
From the preacher*s mouth
An in-between word
Like
Moving on to the next point
That person knowing he is moving on now
She is moving on now
And oh so grateful
To the preacher
For uttering that in-between word
From the pulpit.

Asymptote.
Sometimes it behooves one to write
About the oddest things,
The curve ball thrown in from infinity
Whose destination is finally
Infinity.
It curves and returns
On the mirrored path
Out.

Asymptote
Now I know I am on
The other side of the curve.
Now I know
I am on
The mirrored path
Out to Infinity
And Beyond.
I am oh so grateful
to the Pitcher.

No comments:

Post a Comment