Saturday, April 23, 2011

Reminders of all the colors

As my daughter prepares the dye baths for the Easter eggs, I remember past years holding dyed hands up for Easter communion.  I also remember a piece written by Martin Bell in The Way of the Wolf entitled Wood and Nails and Easter Eggs.  It*s worth a look-see by googling.  It is still just as powerful as when I first read it years ago.

The birds sing all afternoon
In the garden,
Still the forsythia winds and blooms.
Now the four bunches of daffodils
Bought with paper skins
Closed tight
Have opened.
They trumpet, blare, yellow
In the living room.
On the sideboard
The sprays of forsythia,
In their turn
accompany the pussy willows,
Fur catkins now with small green leaves.
They curve yellow quiet
In contrast.

We get ready to color eggs
Before church.
Our fingers will be dyed many colors
By the time we are done.
At church
We will celebrate what God has done
With bells and dyed hands.
The dye will take a couple days to wear off.
I will be more than glad
To have reminders
Of all the colors
on my fingertips,
Even as I am surrounded
By loud daffodils
Quiet sprays of forsythia,
Pure gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment