Friday, April 22, 2011

I am thankful God

This is as close to a Good Friday meditation as I can come.  It is different this year for me, yet it remains the same.  How like God to do this for each one of us, in particular.  How like God to do this for all of us, together.

I am thankful God
Is not a theological construct:
Divided into three parts
But really only one.
Today, again, he is put to death
For us.
His mother watches.
His disciples watch.
We watch
Helpless to staunch the blood
Or the death.
We are only able to find him
A tomb
Where he can rest awhile.

I am thankful yesterday
Today and tomorrow
The Triduum
Is not a theological construct,
Divided into three parts
But really only one.
It continues beyond and beyond
Until we are promised he will rise
And come again.

I am thankful
I don*t have to digest this all at once,
Rather week by week
I am offered His Body,
His Blood,
So I can begin again to understand.
Again
Not a theological construct
Not divided into neat and tidy parts
Rather
Like the forsythia which appeared this year
For the first time
Growing wild
In the backyard,
Framing the ducks
In gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment