Thursday, April 21, 2011

Whoa!

We have set services for Holy Week, and I believe God sets our paths, if we will follow.  With free will, we human beings take a lot of detours, but like a wonderful GPS, God recalibrates all the time.  Really... All The Time.  And we still get there.  Amazing.

I will attend the Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and Easter Vigil services (the Triduum) at my home parish of St. Mark*s, Glen Ellyn.  I will see what words come throughout.   What*s funny to me is that I set out to write one reflection for each service.  Then I thought: there should also be one for each time in between.  But really, I have no idea what I will write.  Part of the plan seems to be that I don*t get to measure or count:  how many reflections, how many clients, how many hits this blog gets.  I*m not in charge of the counting.  So... do not take mine as a traditional rendering of Holy Week.

I love the Stations of the Cross Malcolm Guite has written in sonnet form, lovely braided sonnets, a crown of sonnets.  If you haven*t encountered them: Please Do.    http://malcolmguite.wordpress.com/author/malcolmguite/   

There are also wonderful reflections/meditations people have written/preached on all three services, and the parts thereof:  footwashing, Jesus* commandment to love one another, Jesus* seven last words on the cross.  There is so much to preach on, so much to meditate upon.  This is a rich, very rich, thin time, particularly for those of us in liturgical traditions.  Join us in the walk/ride through the Triduum.

Before the beginning
Of the roller coaster ride
That begins the Triduum,
This early morning before it all begins
I know there will be several things to write.
I do not know how many.
I figure they will not be separated
Into traditional parts.
I have never really, after all,
Been traditional.
I will not know until I get there
With Jesus.
I will not know,
Even as I know so well
The given pieces
To walk through.
This year
I am somehow being carried
On a track which will take me
Where it wills.
I do not know if Jesus is the roller coaster
Or the track.
I suspect the track.
Do not ask me how this fits into anyone*s concept
Of the Trinity,
Much less my own.
Even as I know I will be carried,
I know
This year will be different
And the same.
Every year it is different
And the same.

This year will include that roller coaster
On a track I have not laid.
This year will include
The barely budding clematis in front.
The ducks out back
Will probably be along for the ride,
Hopefully in their own car.
I know I will see it all
Through the forsythia
I have never seen before
This year.
All who go with me will wave
Lemon yellow forsythia.
Forsythia will line the tracks
Jesus has made.
This year I believe it will all end
In forsythia.

No comments:

Post a Comment