Friday, April 29, 2011

I know I should write

Yes, I saw The King*s Speech and liked it a lot.   Great movie in its unexpurgated version.  What is it about the Royal Family that is so all-fired fascinating that we have to see and comment and have visions of tea and scones, clotted cream, with the Queen?  I was bound and determined not to write about The Royal Wedding when Jeff and I went to work out this morning... and there they all were, lined up TV after TV after TV.  Jeff tells me the men*s dressing room featured the NFL draft.

I know I should write
About the Royal Wedding today,
Will and Kate married
And all the accoutrements
That come with such things,
Big and public and all the people that matter
Present and British.
I should write about
The Americans who got up early
To make scones and drink tea,
Raise glasses of champagne, in a toast,
At
I do
Or
I will
Even though the wedding prayers
Are sexist.
I am after all
An Episcopal priest and claim some ties
To the Church of England
And by that I mean
To Royalty.
I should write about the crowds
The color of the Queen*s dress
The Londoners who rented out their houses
For a pretty sum.
Now they are married with the Archbishop of Canterbury
Presiding
The Bishop of London
Preaching
He is a favorite of Prince Charles, you know.
I should write about all the memories of Diana
Of course she would have been there.
What would she have worn
To the wedding?
If  I wrote such a thing I would figure
What she would have worn,
Being Diana
Of course.
I know I should write such a thing
Everyone is watching
You know.
Everyone is watching.
Still watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment