Saturday, August 11, 2012

Cooler

Finally... cooler weather.  My daughter starts school Monday.  It is way early (when I was growing up we started around Labor Day).  Maybe the cooler weather arrived for her.  It has been a very hot summer, and I know we*re most likely not done with the heat yet.  But still, I welcome coolness here and now.  I think and see and hear better in coolness.  

Today is cooler
With potential to walk
The small spit of the backyard,
Investigate the creek.
Today is to trim
The bushes.
Grown wild,
They have needed haircuts
For two months at least.
My daughter and I got our toenails done
Yesterday;
A small thing, yes,
But somehow large as well.
Mine are pale pink,
Hers more noticeably
Fuchsia.
Today,
Like yesterday,
Is cooler.
I see things more clearly
With doors open
To the outside.
A light breeze blows possibility
Through the house.
I hear things more finely,
The air conditioned muffle gone
Chip chip chip
A chipping sparrow is on the edge
Of the front walk
There is a background
Of cicadas.

No comments:

Post a Comment